Monday, April 6, 2009
So as my semester begins to whine down and final exams are a month away, it's that time of year again that I dread: Summer Job Hunting.
Now, last summer I thought finding a job was really bad. I had filled out at least 3 to 5 applications for work all over the place, and my best friend even put up 10 (she has a car and could get to more while I have to a more limited range) and she didn't get a bite either! Luckily, I was able to find work at a local pizza joint, but even that didn't last the whole summer.
This summer doesn't look that good either. And what bites most is that I want to start doing internships for my career because they are helpful, if not necessary, for getting a good job in journalism. I am currently in the process of applying for one (I have a phone interview tomorrow) and like most internships, it doesn't pay.
BIG PROBLEM!
I'm planning on studying abroad next year and that means I have to save money now because I can't get a job while I'm there.
So, I need an internship to gain experience in my field and I need money to get me the education I need to gain the experience that will allow me to enter my field.
Ahh, the dynamics of life.
You see my predicament? However, I'm trying to work it out by also looking for work where my bf is posted. I'm looking at a job that will give me a good salary, flexible, and active. The catch is that it is not even remotely related to my career path as a journalist. But hell, it's a summer job and I need money and time with my bf.
Applying to this job is kind of a pain in the butt. I have to have my resume in a specific format and follow all of these rules and answer all of these questions. I just remembered that I wanted to call them today and ask them some questions about applying. I just need to get it all done so that it can be off my chest and not be a constant worry while I'm trying to deal with school matters.
Now, my bf gets to flaunt the fact that his career is "recession proof" and his pay won't be affected at all, whereas mine is definitely not recession proof and is pretty much on the verge of dying. It's the reason why I want an internship and the reason why I want to study abroad to get more experience. I guess no matter how much you plan, not everything will work out and you just have to make the best of it.
I'm probably going to choose getting a job that pays over an internship. It's not what I want, but it is best for my current situation.
I just hope I don't end up like this later in life. 

0 comments:
Post a Comment