Sunday, April 19, 2009
Hey! So sorry I haven't been updating. I had the week from Hell last week and luckily I'm getting a long weekend to relax and post.
A lot has been happening. I'm writing two feature articles, one for my journalism class and one for my media organization where I am an editor. The one for class is going to really bite me in the butt because I haven't been able to interview anyone for it and it was due last Thursday but my teacher said I could have more time because of all my work. Last week I had no time to interview any sources because they either couldn't make it, or turned out to not have the information I needed. I'm writing about veterans coming back to college life and what adjustments and issues they have to deal with. I have one friend on stand-by who can help, but because we are actually friends, it would really be a conflict of interest.
For my other article, I am writing about the marching band on campus and how they don't have a building to officially call home. They were kicked out of their original building in 1998 and have since been spread out over campus. Their current offices are actually in a condemned building that is in the budget to be demolished, but hasn't been because they are there and the University can't do it until they can place them somewhere else. Trying to get in contact with the head of band is also really hard because he is such a busy man. Hopefully I can schedule something with him this week.
TR has also had some big things happen. Since he's moved into his new house, he's been able to build some of his furniture and have his place semi-organized. His parents visited this weekend and helped fix the place up a bit while he was at work! I love his parents! They are some of the nicest people I know and have always been good to me.
TR also has his first funeral tomorrow. Because I've been so busy, I wasn't able to write about it. He is now the funeral detail officer-in-charge i.e. the officer who passes the flag from the coffin to the next of kin. It is a huge honor to represent the nation and I could not think of anyone better to support a family than TR. He has such a kind and gentle manner that I'm sure they'll find comfort in his presence.
I'm glad his first assignment isn't a young soldier, because I know he has to get used to the emotional weight that comes with this duty. Having to deal with something so tragic as a life cut short would not be a good start to an already difficult duty.
I also have a very hard decision to make. I applied for an internship that involves new media (video, photography, internet, twitter, etc.) and press and they had me come in for an interview this past Friday. I think I did really well and they really seemed to like me. The internship sounds amazing and it would be totally awesome to do it for the summer. However, it is unpaid and I would have to find a part time job (or ask for money from my parents, blah! Trying to save up as I write this!) and I wouldn't be near TR.
I also applied for a position near TR and would be able to see him everyday for the entire summer and get paid. However, this isn't in my career focus at all, but I would be able to develop my relationship with TR.
Even though TR and I have been "together" for 10 months, we've really only been physically together for about two months. Most, if not all, of our relationship has either been on the phone or on Skype. It's really hard to develop when we don't spend that much time together and learn about each other's quirks, likes and dislikes, and the consistency of a regular relationship.
So for me, it is really important that I get to know him as much as I can with the time I have because he can't move from where he is, so it is up to me to decide when I can come see him. This summer would be the last time we would ever have this much time before his deployment because as the months get closer, the busier he will be with training.
I have to decide whether to go for this internship if it is offered to me or go to the job where TR is if it is also offered to me. I am at a crisis and trying to find my way through it. I know that I have time to do this internship again next summer, so that is a plus. Also if I wait, I would gain more experience at school with my media organization and classes. I just hope I find out soon (like this week) what my options will be for the summer. That is probably what I will be praying for today at church when I go.
Has anyone had to make a hard decision on whether to see their significant other or pursue career experience/education/work?

0 comments:
Post a Comment